Pan, here. Been busy as always with the beautiful rabble-rousers of Occupy Philly. Been riding that wave hard for a little while, and now it is the end of 2011. What a year. I remember last near year, stumbling around Philly with Har, stumbling across the Noam Chomsky mural on Fairmount, stumbling a bow and a promise to that mural that I somehow still remember. I promised, in that so-not-sober stupor, that I would make 2011 count; that we would all make him proud. I had no idea.
Our actions and goals of 2011 are starting to sink in. Our global ego death will be hitting us hard this New Year: this year full of juice and weight and superstition. 2012 is going to be a heavy year, a saturated with conviction and desperation and celebration. Dark, red and sweet like a cherry. Deafening, overwhelming and stunning like an exposed nerve.
It’s time we as Americans own up to our role in the world. We didn’t ask to be born here in this empire, but here we are. We need to realize that our actions have reactions, good and bad. We’re 5% of the world’s population, and we use 25% of the world’s resources. That’s not just the corporations, that’s US. That is us, being excessive because that is all we’ve ever known. Think about it. This giant population of twenty-somethings have only known the most excessive years of the most excessive empire known to man. You don’t need to be part of an occupation to do this. We’re a part of that. Own up. What you buy or more importantly, what you don’t buy makes a difference.
How you spend your time makes a difference. Not many people on this planet have this luxurious free time that we do—are we going to squander it getting wasted all the time in slightly different circumstances, or are we going to do something with meaning and substance? This planet is TIRED of the apathy. Own up and let’s make this city one we’re proud of!
This New Year is going to take patience and an exhausting amount of work and dedication. But we’ll be dancing. Oh don’t you worry, Emma, we’ll be dancing.
These are my New Years Resolutions
- Dance more
- No Tomatoes until they are in season HERE, you can keep your tomatoes, California. BOYCOTT JANUARY TOMATOES!!!
- No more smoking. I mean it this time. It’s one of the most hypocritical things I can be doing, goes against all of my values—it’s killing me, it’s killing you, and we’re giving big business money for this gross slow death.
- I’m going to call my grandma more often—cuz she’s old and badass, and I still have a lot to learn from her.
- Occupy News Blasts once a week—coming soon to a street corner near you!
- Be more reliable—I’m gonna get better and doing what I say I’m gonna do.
- Make less waste—that means buying less, more consciously
As a part of the Furhl and Occupy Philly, I see the common ground. We are all trying to make this world more vibrant, honest, just and beautiful. We can do it. It’s not as hard as we’re making it out to be. It takes little and big actions every day. Less waste, less mindless entertainment will go a LOONG way.
I love you all, let’s make this year one we’ll never forget.
Peace, love and solidarity,